Home / Borno / Boko Haram kills 11 in Jakana, Borno

Boko Haram kills 11 in Jakana, Borno

Security agencies refused to comment on casualty.

The Senator representing Borno Central, Ahmed Zannah, has confirmed to journalists that 11 people were killed during the late Monday night attack on Jakana Village in Kaga Local Government Area of Borno State.

The senator made the confirmation hours after the police and military authorities in the state declined making comments on the casualty figure recorded in the attack.

The Senator spoke to reporters in Maiduguri in a telephone interview.

Mr. Zannah explained that “Before the Boko Haram men came into the village, the people in the town saw them coming at about 8 p.m. or so and everybody immediately fled into the bushes, leaving only the aged ones in their houses. So when the insurgents came, they met only the aged ones, they then burnt them in the houses”.

“Eleven people were burnt in their houses. The military had also taken cover too. But I learnt the military summoned courage having realized that the insurgents were not many.

“But when the Boko Haram saw the military, they fled immediately and could not burn the other part of the village but left a word that they will be coming back to finish their act.

“It was the warning that scared people when they came out of the bush this morning. Everybody started fleeing the area, fearing the insurgents could still come back,” Mr. Zannah said.

The Monday night attack in Jakana occurred about 24 hours after at least 32 people were killed by the Boko Haram in Mafa Village.

Mafa Village was also set ablaze by the terrorists in an attack that residents said lasted about 5 hours.

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that the villagers in Mafa had been forewarned of the attack and many of them fled their homes about a week ago.

The warnings were allegedly handed down by Boko Haram members via leaflets dropped around the village.

A resident of Mafa, Modu Yuraim, who survived the attack, told journalists in a telephone interview that “We have performed the burial of 32 persons, among them was a woman”.

Mr. Yuraim said the attackers came in various vehicles at about 8 p.m. on Sunday night and began to shoot sporadically. He said most of the houses, which were of thatched roofs, caught fire.

“They have set on fire the entire village, sparing nothing. All houses, all shops and government buildings were razed down completely; we have been devastated beyond what one can describe,” he said.

PREMIUM TIMES gathered that the attack, which started at about 8 p.m. lasted over five hours; a development that left many wondering why it took security officials so long to arrive the village which is just about 45km away.

Mr. Yuraim added that apart from the houses that were burnt down, the gunmen also burnt down seven trucks loaded with goods, as well as other vehicles.

 

Source

About admin

Check Also

Boko Haram militants ramp up attacks on refugee shelters in northeast Nigeria

August 18, 2017 DAKAR, SENEGAL—Boko Haram militants are ramping up attacks on sites sheltering people …

Children are #NotATarget

Tens of millions of children caught up in armed conflict must be protected from life-threatening …

Nigeria: 16 killed, 82 injured in suicide blasts in Borno state – The …

– Death toll may rise further after suicide bombers target car parking lot in northeast …

Insurgency: Borno State screens 400, 000 persons for HIV – Daily Trust

More than 400, 000 persons were screened for HIV virus in Borno, the state Commissioner …

Close
Please support the site
By clicking any of these buttons you help our site to get better