Barely 24 hours after members of the Boko Haram terrorist group attacked Mainok, the terrorists struck again, this time at Mafa, the headquarters of Mafa local government area of Borno State.
VANGUARD reported that over 39 people were killed, several public and private properties set ablaze. 2 policemen also died in the attack and 12 soldiers have been missing since then.
Recounting the incident, residents said that the terrorists came into Mafa town at about midnight using Hilux Toyota vans armed with AK47 rifles, Improvised Explosive Devices (IED’s), Rocket Propelled Launchers, petrol bombs and opened fire on residents who were asleep.
Kaumi Lawan, a resident who spoke with DAILY TRUST said the insurgents subdued soldiers in the area and had a field day.
“They remained in the village till around 2.30am when they completed their mission. Almost all the soldiers on ground removed their uniforms and took to their heels, leaving us at the wickedness of the attackers”,Lawan said.
Still speaking on the attack, Ahmed Zannah, senator representing the area told journalists that most of the residents, especially women and children, had left the village before the attack. He also said, “I was reliably informed by my people that the soldiers in Mafa fled during the attack because they could not stand the superior weapons of the Boko Haram gunmen”.
The Nigerian Police and Army have both confirmed the attack although they refused to give the casualty figure.
PUNCH reported that Col. Mohammed Dole, spokesman for the 7th Infantry Division of the Nigerian Army, said,”We do not have the exact figure of casualties. Whether I give it or I don’t give, there are people who have their sources there; they can just give their own figure.
“We decided with the Commissioner of Police not to give any casualty figure. You people are only interested in casualty figure. People can just quote any figure and that is it; they have their sources on the ground.
– The alleged planned move to woo Senator Ali Modu-Sheriff back to the APC has …
Abuja – The Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) said on Tuesday that it has …
(New York, 19 September 2017): The Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr. Edward Kallon, strongly condemns …
Sept. 18 (UPI) — A suicide attack at an aid distribution point in northeastern Nigeria’s …