– Negligent parents who expose their children to abuse and molestation will start facing prosecution from Kaduna state government
– This warning was issued by the state commissioner for women affairs and social development, Hajiya Hafsat Baba
– She said that if the government starts sanctioning parents who are negligent, child abuse would reduce
Kaduna state commissioner for women affairs and social development, Hajiya Hafsat Baba, has warned that the government would soon begin prosecuting negligent parents who expose their children to abuse and molestation.
Baba said in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday, March 15, in Kaduna that the state child protection law has provided sanctions against such parents.
NAIJ.com noted that she said that most parents were negligent about their children, thereby, exposing them to dangers of molestation and abuse by child predators. She said that the law, made to reduce the high level of child abuse in the state, has appropriate sanctions against negligent parents and those who abuse children.
READ ALSO: Nigerian student in Cyprus drowns
She said: “If we find out that parents are negligent, the child protection law will take care of that, I believe by the time we start sanctioning the parents, the abuse will actually reduce.”
Baba expressed worry that in some cases, it was the parents who abuse their children.
The commissioner said: “The ministry recently received a case where a father beat his 7-year-old child mercilessly to the extent of inflicting injuries on the child. I don’t understand what has come over the mind of such parent, but with this law in place I am sure such parents will start going to prison.
“Some of the parents need to be counselled, they need know that they have responsibilities of taking care of the children and giving them protection. You will see young children on the streets, children who cannot take care of themselves but are left to source for livelihood.
“We believe that we need to engage the family, stakeholders and all the concerned citizens; people who can speak out when children are abused or molested.”
On child trafficking, the commissioner said the ministry has six cases it had taken to court. Baba, however, expressed reservation about a recent judgement in which the court ordered the return of a stolen child back to a Ghanaian who bought the child.
She said: “We have filed an appeal and also intimated NAPTIP and sent them the complete report for them to also take action.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com previously reported that four men were accused of committing sodomy with a 16-year-old boy, Umar Sani, in Taura local government area of Taraba state.
The men; Auwalu Idris, 41; Nazifi Abba, 25; Abdullahi Rabiu, 28; and Abu Zaid Yusu, 18, were arrested by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC), in the state.
According to Sani, the four men had been abusing him sexually for over 2 years at different locations within their community.
KADINVEST economic summit 2017 – on NAIJ.com TV