Fire engulfed some residential buildings including theirs in Tudun Murtala quarters in Nasarrawa Local Government Area of Kano State on Wednesday night killed four members of a family of five.
Also, in another fire incident ignited by power surge on Ijebu/Court Road, Sabon Gari, five persons suffered varying degrees of injury in the area.
The Director of the State Fire Service, Alhaji Mustapha Rilwan, who confirmed the Tudun Murtala Quarters’ incident, told newsmen in Kano on Thursday that the fire had also razed all the four rooms in the affected house.
He said, “We received a distress call yesterday (Wednesday) at about 10.23pm from a Good Samaritan that there is fire outbreak in a building at Tudun Murtala Quarters.
” On receiving the information, we quickly sent our fire fighting vehicle to the scene and the fire was put out within 45 minutes.”
Rilwan said that four persons were rescued unconscious and another person that sustained injury were taken to the Murtala Mohammed Specialist Hospital for medical attention.
He said the doctor later confirmed four of them dead while the remaining one was still receiving treatment at the hospital.
The director attributed the fire outbreak to storage of petroleum products in the house and advised residents to desist from storing petroleum products in their residential houses.
He also advised the general public to always be careful with electrical appliances and stop storing petroleum products in their business premises so as to avoid unforeseen dangers.
Eyewitnesses said the dead victims were members of the same family, while the other victim from the ill-fated family suffered second degree burns.
They said that among the injured was a fire officer, who was part of the team deployed to the scene to battle the inferno.
But Rilwan said two of his officers suffered severe burns and injuries and were rushed to the hospital for prompt medical attention.
According to an eyewitness account, the fire, which started around 10 pm continued till midnight.
Volunteers, who first rushed to the scene, he said, fought the fire with sand due to the unavailability of water in the area before the arrival of the fire fighters.
Rilwan warned residents, who were in the habit of storing petrol in their homes to desist from such a dangerous practice, adding that a stitch in time saves nine.
Source: ( Punch Newspaper )