The military said residents mistook soldiers for Boko Haram terrorists.
The Nigerian military on Friday said the convoy of the Adamawa State governor, Murtala Nyako, was not attacked.
The Director of Defence Information, Chris Olukolade, in a statement said “the alleged attack on the convoy of Governor Nyako as presented in a breaking news report on some television channels this afternoon is not true.”
Mr. Olukolade, a Major-General, said Mr. Nyako was returning from Michika and Shuwa where he went to sympathise with the communities attacked by suspected Boko Haram terrorists. He said on the governor’s return, he met a pandemonium by some individuals who mistook a convoy of troops for terrorists.
He said the troops were on an assignment to block a discovered entry point of terrorist at Kirchinga Village.
“The troops were on assignment to block a discovered entry and exit point of terrorists into the country through the state. The community has been assured of their safety as normalcy has returned,” Mr. Olukolade said.
Mr. Olukolade said that this led to an ensuing stampede and confusion as people scampered into the bush in efforts to escape from the troops mistaken for terrorists.
Based on official military record, 29 students were killed in the early hours of Tuesday at the Federal Government College, Buni Yadi, in Yobe State, by suspected Boko Haram members. The terrorists also attacked Adamawa Communities, Michika and Shuwa, on Wednesday night, killing another 13 people.
The military’s statement confirms PREMIUM TIMES reportage that there was no Boko Haram involvement in the Friday afternoon incident
A witness had earlier told PREMIUM TIMES that some soldiers fired shots that caused the pandemonium.
“The Governor had just finished his condolence remarks and prayers were being offered when suddenly sounds of gunshots rented the air and serious pandemonium followed,” the witness said.
He said the gunshots came from some soldiers nearby who were shouting, “The boys are coming” and shooting indiscriminately in the air.
The witness, who was on Mr. Nyako’s convoy, said the governor was angry with the soldiers for creating such unnecessary pandemonium.
The Defence Spokesperson, however, noted that calm had returned to Shuwa after the pandemonium.
He also said more terrorists have been arrested after Tuesday and Wednesday’s attack, while 13 of the terrorists died during a Friday raid on a Boko Haram make-shift camp in Borno and Adamawa States.