Home / Sokoto / Update: Presidency says no immdeiate plan to ban Al-majiri education

Update: Presidency says no immdeiate plan to ban Al-majiri education

-The presidency has dismissed reports that it had concluded plans to ban the Al-majiri system of education

– NSA, Babagana Monguno, had previously been quoted as saying the Al-majiri system, which operates in most parts of northern Nigeria, will be proscribed

– Monguno reportedly described the Al-majiri group as becoming a problem to the country

– The presidency, however, said things will have to be done the right way; and any future proscription will follow due process

Reports that the federal government had concluded plans to ban the Al-majiri system of education, has been dismissed by the presidency.

This comes following a report by The Nation, that the national security adviser, Babagana Monguno, said the federal government under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari will soon ban the Al-majiri system operating especially in the northern part of Nigeria.

According to Monguno, in a chat with State House correspondents at the end of a meeting chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo at the Presidential Villa, the Al-majiri groups are becoming a problem to the country.

READ ALSO: New report details how Lawan surrounded himself with Saraki loyalists

Legit.ng notes that the government’s dismissal of the NSA’s statement was, however, contained in a statement issued by the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Garba Shehu.

Shehu pointed out that though the prescription of the Al-majiri system remained an objective of the Buhari administration, any such development would follow due process and will be done in consultation with relevant authorities.

He said: “The presidency notes that while the Buhari administration is committed to free and compulsory education as a long-term objective of bringing to an end, the phenomenon of out-of-school children, any necessary ban on Almajiri would follow due process and consultation with relevant authorities.

”Indeed, the federal government wants a situation where every child of primary school age is in school rather than begging on the streets during school hours. At the same time, we don’t want to create panic or a backlash.”

The statement added: “Things have to be done the right and considerate way.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Governor Aminu Tambuwal of Sokoto state expressed fears that the practice of begging by Almajiris expose them to dangerous habits which he said “will in turn, hurt us in near future.”

Tambuwal made the comment in a chat with newsmen following a meeting of prominent personalities of Sokoto origin at the Sultan’s palace.

The governor said: “The state government as a matter of concern has been on the issue of Almajiri begging style and very soon, we will call all those involved to find a lasting solution to the problem.”

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) – Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

What is working well and what needs improvement in Nigeria? – on Legit TV:

Source

About admin

Check Also

Bandits kill more than twenty persons in Sokoto

Adeniyi Olugbemi, Sokoto Suspected armed bandits attacked some villages in Goronyo Local Government Area of …

Non-remittance of pensions by 21 states

Punch Editorial Board A thick black cloud hangs precipitously over the future of public sector …

NEWS16 mins ago Group Scores Sokoto 2019 Elections High

A group in Sokoto under the auspices of 2019 Sokoto State Governorship Candidates Forum (SOSGOGAF2019) …

Sokoto: First batch of pilgrims leave for Saudi Arabia

First batch of Sokoto pilgrims will on Friday leave for Saudi Arabia. Public Relations Officer …